Player Characters begin play having prepared for a life other than adventuring and when events thrust them into it they bring those preparations along as well as take some time adjusting to their new lives.
- Choose your Character Class
- Choose a profession: Select any Craft, Knowledge, Perform, or Profession skill and put 1 Rank into it.
- Determine minimum gold for the class and set aside 5 gp of it on profession related equipment first. A character also begins play with one outfit valued at 10 gp or less at no cost.
- Characters begin with 2d4 gp in actual coin. Gold unspent on equipment is discarded.
- Begin game play with the Novice Level simple template
Novice Level simple template: -1 penalty on all rolls and spell or special ability DCs (minimum 1). Hit points equal maximum Hit Die minus 2. Adjustments to hit points such as from Constitution, Toughness, Favored Class, etc. are then added (minimum 1). You are also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables such as spell casting, etc. (minimum 1). Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of the Novice Level simple template.
- After earning 1000 xp, the PC loses the Novice Level simple template.